Nerrima Station is located in the magnificent west Kimberly region of Western Australia. We are located 3.5 hours east of Broome – the perfect escape for your time off. The town of Derby is only 2.5 hours away. The mighty Fitzroy River is accessible at the northern boundary, and the Great Sandy Desert is on the southern edge of the station.
Nerrima Station is owned by the Emanuel family, who have a long history and connection to the Kimberley. The property spans 203 000 HA and runs approximately 16 000 head of Red Brangus / Red Brahman cattle.
Attractive remuneration reflective of successful applicants experience and skills
Hiring Now for 2023 start
Until Position Filled
We are currently seeking a Head Stockperson to lead the team at Nerrima for the 2023 season and beyond. We are looking for a candidate with proven leadership skills and excellent communication who can work closely with the Manager and in harmony with the Nerrima team.
Nerrima is a close knit team with an established and proficient work ethic, we are looking for a leader who will lead by example and carry the existing culture into the future.
Key Tasks, Duties & Responsibilities:
- The Head Stockperson at Nerrima Station will organise, direct and lead their stock team to perform typical livestock operations, property maintenance and station support tasks.
- This position reports to and works collaboratively with the Station Manager.
- Demonstrated experience working large cattle herds above 10,000 head and preferably in a leadership position (leading hand or head stockperson).
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience
- Thorough understanding and adherence to high animal welfare standards & low stress stock handling
- Experience in leading and mentoring a team of all ages & motivations
- Prior experience managing station workhorse plants and be a competent horse person
- Well-developed verbal, written and IT communication skills
- Experience with record keeping and reporting
- Model solid OH&S principles
- Understanding of general property and machinery maintenance
- Firearms licence (Class A and Class B; desirable) or willing to obtain
- Hold a HR truck licence or willing to obtain
- Genuine interest in advanced husbandry procedures such as:
- controlled mating programs
- segregation of breeder herd into calving groups
- Attractive remuneration reflective of successful applicants experience and skills
- New Air-conditioned house suiting a single/partner or young family
- All meals prepared by an excellent station cook
- Training opportunities – Stockmanship, Horsemanship, and other areas, to support your career and future employment potential.
- Social events such as the Derby Campdraft and Rodeo
To apply please send a Cover Letter addressing the above criteria/ suitability along with your Resume with at least 2 references from a previous employer (these will be checked) and/or for confidential enquiries contact the Manager, Chris Morrow at firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: Applications that do not include a cover letter and resume will not be considered.
NER | REF 20221018